Saturday, May 21, 2016

American Goldfinch Carduelis tristis Camden State Park Minnesota May 20, 2016

 
I went for a short hike at Camden State Park, hoping to see one of my favorite birds, the Rose-breasted Grosbeak. It wasn't until near the end of my visit when I finally saw it. When I first got to the park, though, I got some great video footage of this American Goldfinch. Awesome! I hope you enjoy this video and some information from the Sibley Guide to Birds below. Thank you.
 
American Goldfinch
Carduelis tristis
Like other Carduelis finches, these species are active and acrobatic when foraging for weed seeds and tree buds. Usually seen in flocks, with bounding flight and distinctive flight calls.
The American Goldfinch is the largest goldfinch (but still a very small bird); stocky. Note whitish undertail coverts and well-defined wing-bars.
Voice: Song high, musical, rapidly repeated phrased toWEE toWEE toWEEto tweer tweer tweer ti ti ti ti; may suggest buntings but less stereotyped; fading at end. Call a thin, wiry toweeeowee or tweeee; also a soft tihoo and variations. Flight call a soft, whistled descending series ti di di di.

 
 


Works Cited
Sibley, D. A. The Sibley Guide to Birds. New York City: Chanticleer Press, Inc. (2000): 535.

No comments:

Post a Comment