Saturday, May 21, 2016

Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina Camden State Park Minnesota May 20, 2016

 
I went for a short hike at Camden State Park, hoping to see one of my favorite birds, the Rose-breasted Grosbeak. It wasn't until near the end of my visit when I finally saw it. I also got to see this Chipping Sparrow on a tree in one video and on the bridge in the other two videos. Awesome! I hope you enjoy these videos and some information from the Sibley Guide to Birds below. Thank you.
 
Chipping Sparrow
Spizella passerine
Although Chipping prefers open woods and Clay-colored brushy areas away from trees, in winter they are often found together in small flocks and can be difficult to distinguish.
Averages larger, longer-billed, and relatively shorter-tailed than Clay-colored. Dark lores and gray rump distinctive.
Voice: Song is a simple, usually rather long mechanical drill. Call is a sharp chip like other Spizella sparrows. Flight call is a high, thin, slightly rising tsiis.


Works Cited
Sibley, D. A. The Sibley Guide to Birds. New York City: Chanticleer Press, Inc. (2000): 485.

No comments:

Post a Comment